Wednesday, September 6, 2017

A message for my fellow children and parents....

Stumbled upon the following snippet that I wrote in high school:

Check it out:

Did you ever wish that you and your mom were the same age? Of course we wish this when we're being punished and feel that we aren't understood. But, I believe it's a lot deeper than that.

See, my mother died when I was just 10 years old. She was 33 and what I considered the typical mother. She was the woman in my life who told me not to take my hat off on the way to school. She insisted I eat my vegetables. She smacked my face when I was a smart ass. Unfortunately, I do not have those wonderful memories that people have when their parents die at an old age. My mother never talked to me about my period. She never cried at my wedding. She never held her grandchild. She never explained menopause to me. She just tried her best to raise a lady-like little girl that wouldn't embarrass her in mixed company. Now that I think of it, I really wish I had a brother or sister because I was her only child, the only memory of a child she had. It's almost like, I was the representation of one of the things in her life she created. And if she got joy out of child-rearing, I wish I hadn't been the only one. 

I'm not sure she wanted kids. My mother was always kind to me, but since all I know is the disciplinarian side, I don't know if she enjoyed it or not. This sort of upsets me because I have this need to know whether or not she actually liked me. I know she loved me, but did she like being around me? I really don't know. My grandmother took it very hard and I've never had the desire to dredge up memories for her. I think she has a hard enough time dealing day to day without my asking her about her dead first child, that just happened to be her best friend.

So, I'm left to wonder. 

I'm not sharing this to start a pity party. Quite the opposite. If you still have your Mom, spend time with her, if you don't already. Ask her about her deepest dreams. Do something out of the norm with her. Really, really get to know her. If you are a parent, let your children know what you LIKE about them. What they do well, what you think is outstanding about their personality. It's important to say and to hear.

As always, thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment